Friday 6 July 2012

Indian Kids, English Parents!!!


By Guest Author : Hemant Firke

English language has become such an important aspect of our life that the makers of Bollywood movie ‘Roti, Kapda aur Makaan’ today would like to rethink and add it as a fourth ask for ‘The Mango People’.

Many would have noticed and written on this, but I realized when I was speaking to one of my school friends, a few days ago, as how she has become ‘Mommy Bolt’ running around her kid asking to do things against his wish and that too in English.

I remember, being a kid, I used to keep myself real busy with comics, gully cricket, Duck Tales, Mahabharata, trying to do Mowgli adventures and WWF acts. My parents on the other hand never realized the need of speaking in English with me at that time. I used to laugh on the very fact as I grew older. But times have changed.
Now, I have stopped laughing at parents who desperately try to speak in English with their kids. Because it’s not funny anymore.
I understand that they feel totally substandard that they were born in India and try to compensate by being ‘English’ in and out.
Rinku ... I can’t be able to take you for playschool today!!” is not funny anymore.
Because, “You gave audition in Indian Idol for fun, no?” 
“You don’t use ‘Olay-Total Effects’ to look young, no?”
If you like the language, learn to construct basic sentences.

I have a strong desire to blame it on English speaking countries for this. However, I believe they possess good promotional skills. I have nothing to take away from the Chinese, Germans, Japanese and French, though. We Indians, often called as ‘Suntanned Asians with Napolean Complex’ by the western countries, unfortunately have always followed them to the speed of light than to lead.

 
Definitely Tastes Best With Hands
It is not over yet because I recently heard  IT-software parents coercing their kid to speak in English and "trying" to eat Dosa with spoon and fork. I would have ignored them for speaking in English; but the meat here is, eating Dosa with spoon and fork ???!!!!








NAÏVE SELF EXPLOITATION BY HEMANT FIRKE         J  J                         
29th June 2012                                                                            

No comments: